I recently got an old jewelry box at the thrift store. It had a paper-like covering on it. I had planned on stripping it down and painting it, but when I took it apart I found out that the top and bottom were heavy cardboard and the back, sides and front were wood. The drawers ended up having metal fronts. This made for a lot of different substrates to figure out how to cover to make it look good. I decided to use old matchbook covers. I glued them over the whole jewelry box and put on two coats of high gloss varnish. The drawer fronts and hardware I painted with black enamel. I then put match books in the center of the drawer fronts so that a black bevel shows. I think it turned out nicely. I am now working on practicing my macrame. It has been a while since I have done any. I hope to have a post on that later this week.