Sunday, April 10, 2011

cigars, cigarettes, MATCHBOOK COVERS

jewelry box as purchased
close up of matchbook covers
covered jewelry box
I recently got an old jewelry box at the thrift store.  It had a paper-like covering on it.  I had planned on stripping it down and painting it, but when I took it apart I found out that the top and bottom were heavy cardboard and the back, sides and front were wood.  The drawers ended up having metal fronts.  This made for a lot of different substrates to figure out how to cover to make it look good.  I decided to use old matchbook covers.  I glued them over the whole jewelry box and put on two coats of high gloss varnish.  The drawer fronts and hardware I painted with black enamel.  I then put match books in the center of the drawer fronts so that a black bevel shows.  I think it turned out nicely.  I am now working on practicing my macrame.  It has been a while since I have done any.  I hope to have a post on that later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment