Thursday, April 21, 2011

Not Your Grandma's Pearls

Pearl Necklace
Close up of Mermaid
Clasp
I got a strand of freshwater pearls to make a necklace.  I didn't want to do the standard plain pearl necklace.  Typically silk or nylon thread is used and there is a careful knot placed between each pearl.  I decided to mix it up a little.  I used a nylon cord to string the pearls but the outer visable cords in the macrame are linen.  I cut a silver spreader to look like a mermaid, and then I cut out little starfish and sand dollars to accent the necklace.  I made a metal sand dollar shaped button for the closure. 

Friday, April 15, 2011

What a difference a cord makes

Owl necklace
Close up
Size comparison


I just finished my second owl.  I used a smaller cord for this one, a blend of cotton and linen called cottolin.  I did the exact same number of cords and knots as for the first owl, but as the picture shows the new owl is much smaller.  It took much longer to make the cord for 2 reasons, first I didn't leave gaps and it took many more knots to fill an inch.  I used a piece of a spoon handle for the branch and for the closing button. This necklace is much shorter and the owl's tail has been left longer to dangle.  Hopefully my next post will have something with pearls.  I just got some really neat ones to try.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Knot a Hoot Owl







I decided to practice my macrame skills.  I had not done any for at least 15 years and when I had done it before, I was just using square knots and half knots.  Well, I decided to try to make an owl pendant.  It uses mainly half hitches.  I used square knots and half knots on the cord leaving spaces to show the black holding cord.  I think it looks ok for a first try.  My owl is just a little lop-sided.  Instead of a branch, I used a piece of flattened copper wire for the perch.  I hope to post some more later this week using different cord.  For this one I just the old waxed cord that holds the knots well.  The problem with it is that it feels sticky and has a tendancy to look ashy if using dark cord.  My next attempt will use cottolin, which is a blend of cotton and linen.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

cigars, cigarettes, MATCHBOOK COVERS

jewelry box as purchased
close up of matchbook covers
covered jewelry box
I recently got an old jewelry box at the thrift store.  It had a paper-like covering on it.  I had planned on stripping it down and painting it, but when I took it apart I found out that the top and bottom were heavy cardboard and the back, sides and front were wood.  The drawers ended up having metal fronts.  This made for a lot of different substrates to figure out how to cover to make it look good.  I decided to use old matchbook covers.  I glued them over the whole jewelry box and put on two coats of high gloss varnish.  The drawer fronts and hardware I painted with black enamel.  I then put match books in the center of the drawer fronts so that a black bevel shows.  I think it turned out nicely.  I am now working on practicing my macrame.  It has been a while since I have done any.  I hope to have a post on that later this week.