Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Leather cell phone pouch

I wanted a pouch to carry my phone in while doing yard work or things where it would be harder to carry a phone.  I don't always have a pocket.  I wanted a leather pouch for sturdiness, but I wanted something fancier than a plain leather pouch.  For the longest time I could not decide how to accomplish it, then I had an idea.  I found a picture I liked.  It was actually a scroll saw pattern from an old book.  I then marked this on the leather using tracing paper.  Then I used a fine point black permanent marker to outline the design.  I used a combination of crayons and dye sticks to color the picture and then ironed it to make it permanent.  I have found from past experience with fabrics that regular crayons work as well as the more expensive fabric crayons when working with fabrics.  It seems to work as well with leather.  I then used nylon cord to stitch the pouch together and make the strap.
 
I think it turned out rather nice.
 

Knotting away

I have been working on my macrame necklace using one of the metal "cabochon" pairs that I cut.  The double layer cabochon of copper and a flattened silver spoon  required 80 cords to get around it.  I am using regular c-lon cord.  I still have a ways to go, but I think it is looking nice.  I plan on it being more of a short collar type necklace.  Will post on it again when it is finished.  I have made a metal button for the closure.  I plan on doing a button and loop closure.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

buttons and cabochons

I have done some macrame recently using stones, and decided that it would be nice to make some metal cabochons to use instead.  I used some old spoons and some old copper to make cabochons, now the hard work of macrame starts.  I just started the first necklace.  It has 80 working cords.  I will try to keep updates posted.
 
 
 



 

I have also made some buttons using old silver spoon handles. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Flashback to the 50's


I was asked to make a poodle to go on a donut skirt for a 1950's costume.  I used some vintage pink embroidery floss and a felt base.  I used a bullion stitch to make the poodle curls.  It is pretty cute I think, but a little heavy.  Hopefully my next post will be sooner.  I am working on a latchhook rug. 

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Not Your Grandma's Pearls

Pearl Necklace
Close up of Mermaid
Clasp
I got a strand of freshwater pearls to make a necklace.  I didn't want to do the standard plain pearl necklace.  Typically silk or nylon thread is used and there is a careful knot placed between each pearl.  I decided to mix it up a little.  I used a nylon cord to string the pearls but the outer visable cords in the macrame are linen.  I cut a silver spreader to look like a mermaid, and then I cut out little starfish and sand dollars to accent the necklace.  I made a metal sand dollar shaped button for the closure. 

Friday, April 15, 2011

What a difference a cord makes

Owl necklace
Close up
Size comparison


I just finished my second owl.  I used a smaller cord for this one, a blend of cotton and linen called cottolin.  I did the exact same number of cords and knots as for the first owl, but as the picture shows the new owl is much smaller.  It took much longer to make the cord for 2 reasons, first I didn't leave gaps and it took many more knots to fill an inch.  I used a piece of a spoon handle for the branch and for the closing button. This necklace is much shorter and the owl's tail has been left longer to dangle.  Hopefully my next post will have something with pearls.  I just got some really neat ones to try.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Knot a Hoot Owl







I decided to practice my macrame skills.  I had not done any for at least 15 years and when I had done it before, I was just using square knots and half knots.  Well, I decided to try to make an owl pendant.  It uses mainly half hitches.  I used square knots and half knots on the cord leaving spaces to show the black holding cord.  I think it looks ok for a first try.  My owl is just a little lop-sided.  Instead of a branch, I used a piece of flattened copper wire for the perch.  I hope to post some more later this week using different cord.  For this one I just the old waxed cord that holds the knots well.  The problem with it is that it feels sticky and has a tendancy to look ashy if using dark cord.  My next attempt will use cottolin, which is a blend of cotton and linen.